Is it time to replace your existing shingle roof? Are you considering upgrading to a metal roof? If exterior home improvements are on your list, now is the time to learn more about the benefits of upgrading to a metal roofing. Wood and asphalt shingles pale in comparison to the benefits of residential metal roofing materials provide.
Unmatched in longevity, durability, and cost-effectiveness, metal roofing holds eco-friendly benefits as well. Below, are four of the biggest advantages of upgrading to a metal roof.
1. Recycled and “Over the Top” Metal Roof Installation
Metal is the most eco-friendly roofing material on the market. Most metal roofs are made from recycled material, and it may not be in your lifetime, but the panels can be recycled again at the end of their lifecycle.
- When upgrading to a metal roof, metal panels can be installed over your existing roof, cutting down on waste and installation time.
- Fewer emissions are released in production and transport.
- Metal roofing can have up to 95% solar reflexivity, as compared to 5% reflexivity of asphalt shingles. This means big savings on your energy bill since you won’t have to crank up the AC!
2. Upgrading to a Metal Roof Offers Extreme Durability
Compare the lifetime warranty of metal roof to the 15-20 year lifespan of asphalt shingles. Shingle roofs also require a great deal of maintenance. On the other hand, metal roofing lasts up to 70 years or more and has minimal maintenance.
- Metal Roofing is incombustible
- Metal roofing is resistant to high winds
- Interlocking panels make it virtually impenetrable to pest and leaks.
- High reflexivity and smooth surface are ideal for Michigan’s heavy snowfalls — snow melts quickly, and any remaining buildup simply slides right off.
3. Metal Roofs are Low-Maintenance
Metal roofs are designed to be impervious to water and are extremely good at drying out. Under normal conditions, rust and corrosion are not a concern either- as long as you keep your roof clean.
- Keeping your roof clear of debris will ensure your metal roof will last a lifetime
- Keep your gutters clean and functioning well
- Reseal the roof every 20 years or so
- Replace old gaskets
4. Metal Roofing is Beautiful and Versatile
The most common metals used for roofing are tin, zinc, copper, aluminum, and steel. Aluminum and steel metal roofs are the most durable and most cost efficient of the five listed.
- From shake, shingle or panel, the style options for metal roofing are limited only by your imagination. Shakes and tiles often mimic to look of wood, clay, or other materials. They come in a variety of shapes, styles, and colors.
- If the many manufactured colors are not to your liking you can also paint your metal roof. Caution: painting metal roofs may increase the need for maintenance depending on the quality of paint and other environmental factors.
Now that you know some of the advantages of upgrading to a metal roof for your Michigan home, think about how your current roof has performed in Michigan winters. Give us a call for a free estimate today, the time-saving, low maintenance, energy efficiency, and longevity will far outweigh the initial investment.